Old 05-08-2005, 12:02 PM
Martin Sykes

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
"Teleman" writes:

| You tried phoning them and asking ?
| I imagine a lot would depend on the size of the
| actual "chips" themselves - the smaller the chip, the
| more tightly they pack together, and the more each
| cubic metre would weigh

Er, no. It depends on the SHAPE of the chips. The packing
density is independent of the scale. Yes, there may be (in
practice) a correlation between shapes that pack densely and
a small size, but it is indirect and the type of bark is more
important than the size.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

The mix of sizes is important too. The small bits can fill in the gaps
between the larger bits.

Whether they sell it wet or dry will make a big difference too - with weight
you'll end up paying for the water. I'd expect dry wood chips to float so 1
cubic metre would weigh less than a tonne - Google turned up ratios of
between 0.25 and 0.75 so there is a big range but take the middle of 2 cubic
metres = 1 tonne and you won't be far off.

--
Martin & Anna Sykes
( Remove x's when replying )