Old 05-08-2005, 12:52 PM
shazzbat

"michael adams" wrote in message

"Sue Begg" wrote in message
Hi, Does anyone know how much bark weighs?

We have 2 suppliers locally - one sells by cubic metre, the other by the
ton. Without a conversion figure it is like trying to compare apples and
oranges and since I need about 12 cu metres a small difference could
make a big impact on my pocket :-))
--
Sue
Remove the puppies to reply

Googling "chipped bark" and "bulk density" gives the following
figures in the text preamble to the first link on the page. The
actual link is of no use, simply leading to an Ask.Jeeves listing
of chipped bark suppliers in Scotland.

quote

The bulk density of chipped bark is low (150 - 250 g/ltr)

The density of most woodchip products is in this range. Allow 4 Cu m per
tonne and you won't be far out

Of course the density changes daily according to conditions, so what they do
at ECO is a test weighing each morning to ascertain the density that day.
It's mostly sold by the metree, but the vehicles are weighed out and charged
by weight so you need the conversion figure for that day.

[which seems awfully heavy for what is after all, just over
a 6ft cube of chipped bark ]

That's because a 6ft cube = 6.12 Cu m, not 12.

Steve