Old 05-08-2005, 03:28 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "jewels" contains these words:

"Phil L" wrote in message
. uk...
FF wrote:
snip

the only reason I can think of why the T-bags didn't
break up is moisture levels were too low, I have an 'open' heap and the
elements help to break everything down nicely.

My compost 'bin' is made up of wooden pallets and I put an old carpet over
the top but the last time I looked, everything looked very dry in there, I
added some water but reading your post made me wonder....would I be better
off lifting off the old carpet and just leaving it to the elements?

Not all the time, because rain leaches the compost and cools the
heat. But if the heap seems dry (signs are, material not decomposing,
lots of ants) just leave off the lid and let the rain wet it again. Then
replace lid.

Janet