Old 30-11-2002, 09:40 AM
Janet Galpin and Oliver Patterson

Default What's in bloom?

The message
from "Michael Berridge" contains these words:

Janet Baraclough wrote in message
In our almost empty new Arran garden,(no frost yet), only one thing;

pink escallonia.
In the pots that moved with us; a dark hellebore is budding well, and
a viburnum is open.
Gardens round about; purple and white hebes, and many fuschias.

Also now spotted that Fuschia Autumnale has still got a few flowers on
it here. Plenty of daisies in the lawn, and an outdoor tomato ahs just
started a new shoot.

Thinking of winter colour I am amazed that very few garden programmes
use Calicarpa, ours is a picture, the berries last all winter and are
visible all over the garden. I was reminded of this seeing a programme
today on TV which was going to use the plant, the first time I've ever
seen it mentioned.

Mike
www.british-naturism.org.uk

Mike,

I was just wondering about trying to get seed of Callicarpa, but didn't
know how fussy it was about the conditions it needs to produce berries.
Do you know which sort yours is?

Janet G