Old 06-08-2005, 11:39 PM
Darryl

Travis wrote:
Darryl wrote:
I planted two bare-root sugar maple trees (3-4' high) about 3-4
weeks ago, & they still haven't shown a sign of green.

How long should I wait for leaf buds before concluding that they
died?

July is not the proper time to plant bare root trees. They were
probably already dead when you put them in the ground.

They were planted in June, not July. Where I live you can't even plant
until May anyway, unless you want to dig through the snow.

I just purchased the house; I had no opportunity to plant before then,
& not enough patience to wait another 10 months.

I watered the trees heavily every other day, but I just tested them, &
I think you are right; they were dead before they were shipped to me.
The twigs snap easily, & the leaf buds are dried. I had great luck
planting privet hedges in June, but I guess hedges aren't the same as
trees. I'll have to try again next spring. Thanks to everyone for the