Old 06-08-2005, 09:24 PM
David W.E. Roberts

"Kevin J Bailey" wrote in message
Can anyone help me on how to take cuttings or successfully root from
layering from a well established outdoor grapevine?
I have tried rooting compound on cuttings in compost in the
greenhouse--nothing. Cuttings in water for about three weeks -- nothing.
Layering vine staked into pot of compost outside off the main plant--
nothing yet.
Any help would be appreciated

When pruning in January, save some ripe wood (brown all through), about as
thick as a pencil, and about a foot long.

Stick a spade in the soil and wiggle it a bit to leave a 'V' shaped notch.

Fill this with sand.

Place one end of your cutting in the sand, firm up, and leave.

Cuttings should root in the first year ready for transplanting.

There are more detailed explanations, but if you plant a dozen cuttings then
you should get at least one new vine.

HTH
Dave R