Old 06-08-2005, 09:27 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Kevin J Bailey" contains these words:

Can anyone help me on how to take cuttings or successfully root from
layering from a well established outdoor grapevine?
I have tried rooting compound on cuttings in compost in the
greenhouse--nothing. Cuttings in water for about three weeks -- nothing.
Layering vine staked into pot of compost outside off the main plant--
nothing yet.

Layering: vines root best from the old wood, a node or two of which
should be scraped a bit to reveal live tissue, then at least two nodes
should be pegged down and covered with soil, and if it's a dry spot,
place a couple of bricks over the buried bit.

Cuttings: When you prune the vine back in the winter, take some good
stout lengths and cut them between nodes so there are two nodes in a
length. Bury these horizontally an inch or so beneath the surface. Kep
moist. They should all appear (one new vine from each node) sometime
round May.

Forget about rooting hormone

--
Rusty