Old 07-08-2005, 02:18 PM
John the Viking John the Viking is offline
Registered User

Default Dracaena Massangeana

Hi, don't know if this plant is part of the bamboo 'family' or whatever, i'm new and desperate for advice!

Small intro, don't judge me by the nickname, it's just how I look. I'm a bit of a hippy. I love my plants, almost obsessively. What I have I received from people I love, or I got them when i felt delighted. Mostly I've got bamboo's, they're great! I usually go for the ones you see around the supermarkets, because I see them bound up looking 'pretty' but know secretly that the way they're arranged and tied up means they'll die soon. I liberate the bamboo!

anyway, my friend gave me a dracaena massangeana. I saw hers, it was great. she gave me one before summer last year, it looked good, it was healthy and beautiful. After a couple of months of good times, I had to find somewhere for it to stay however, as I was off to uni for a year, in a hall room with underfloor heating which would no way do good to the plant and end up being vomited on by people living in the same halls as me, or messed around with, I planned for the eventuality anyways. I left it with my 'friend' who had lots of plants, all very healthy, for a year. I just got it back from his this weekend and I was pretty upset with him. what I failed to realise was how this guy had left my plant in the care of his other housemate, for him to have as a 'project'. This project apparently was too tedious for said housemate and the plant wasn't bushy, with lots of layers of vibrant two-tone green leaves, fleshy and lovely, it was two logs with three extremely long, yellow tipped leaves, a dead bud and one struggling live bud coming from the top of one of said 'logs' and very red cores to the logs indeed.

Suffice to say I'm really really annoyed. People keep telling me to leave the plant for dead, but I refuse, I WON'T LEAVE IT FOR DEAD! not because it was a gift, or because I have dellusions of it having a personality, but because it's a living organism that deserves to see some love when it's had so much neglect. i can only blame myself for not forseeing what would happen, but I know with all the attention I can give it I can help it grow back. i don't care how long it takes.

Please help me! I've trawled the web but all I can find are very complicated things about nutrients and stuff which I can't fathom, or just pictures of people using the dracaena massangeana as office furniture.

I must help to save this plant! I'll have a pic of it up soon if anyone replies to this thread positively.

thanks,

John

p.s. i'm quite poor, but what money i have i will use on the plant.