Old 07-08-2005, 01:02 PM
Mike

"H Ryder" wrote in message
Sorry if this seems irrelevant to gardening but it is the garden producing
the problem
I have a garden full of fruit which I'd like to bottle. Someone has lent

me
a "device" (urn-type-thing) to do this in but I'm struggling to source

some
bottles or jars. Does anyone know where I can get hold of bottles or
preserving jars for this? TIA,
Hayley

Try asking in any hotel or catering establishment. Lots of things come in
glass jars in 'larger than household' volume. If you have ever been or get
the chance to visit a Caterers Cash and Carry, you will see that goods are
in two sections. Quantities in large volume bottles and tins for the
Caterers and cling film wrapped trays of smaller quantities such as jars of
marmalade at 1lb for the shops, but would be 7lbs for the hotels. (Before
someone picks me up on this particular item, yes I know that preserves for
the table now come in a 'one off' sealed form, but we used 7lbs jars etc)

and of course your neighbours. Have you put a note on your gate, "Clean Jam
Jars wanted"? or in your local post office/newsagent's window?

Mike
Who used to collect 1lb jam jars and return them to the grocers for 1d and
2lb jam jars for 2d