Old 07-08-2005, 09:41 PM
Gordon Saunders

Default [IBC] Question and advice please ... Bonsai Soil

Several questions for the group if I may .... learning curve in progress.

Bonsai "soil" .... I would like to try my hand at making my own mix if possible ..

A. I have found several recipes in books and on line ... go with what is "local" type soil for your area and a close match to the trees needs ???

B. Sifted / graded soil .... I'm sure I can locate by mail order a set of "Sifters" to grade out the mix as per all the books I have read so far ...

Is there a brand / type that the group has found that works well and does not cost two arms and a leg ? OR ... I "may" be able to locate the approximate sizes of hardware cloth I need to make my own ... 1/8" .. 1/4" .. 1/2"

C. Is Aquarium gravel good to use in the bottom of the pots ?

OK .. enough for now ... more questions to follow for sure.

In the Spirit of Bonsai,

Gordon in Greensboro

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++