Old 08-08-2005, 06:13 AM
Richard Tanzer

~ jan JJsPond.us wrote in
:

www.jjspond.us

I use a similar system. I have a set of four ponds, the water flowing from
the small top one (about 25 gal.) down a small waterfall into the next one
(about 100 gal.) down another small waterfall into my approx. 200 gal.
pond, and finaly into the main pond which is about 300 gal.

The upper 3 ponds have mostly irises and waterlilies. The bottom pond has
goldfish and koi.

Now the filter system: where the water cascades from the 2nd pond into the
3rd pond it flows into a large (about 2 gal.) flower pot - the kind used
for water plants, actually more of a basket. The basket is filled with
gravel.

I find that by washing the gravel about 4 times each year, the water stays
clean and the fish are health. Also, sediment collects in the upper ponds,
which I clean out whenever I wash the gravel.