Old 08-08-2005, 03:12 AM
Janet Galpin

The message
from John the Viking
contains these words:

anyway, my friend gave me a dracaena massangeana.
in the care of his other housemate, for him to have as a 'project'.
This project apparently was too tedious for said housemate and the
plant wasn't bushy, with lots of layers of vibrant two-tone green
leaves, fleshy and lovely, it was two logs with three extremely long,
yellow tipped leaves, a dead bud and one struggling live bud coming
from the top of one of said 'logs' and very red cores to the logs
indeed.

Suffice to say I'm really really annoyed. People keep telling me to
leave the plant for dead, but I refuse, I WON'T LEAVE IT FOR DEAD! n
Please help me! I've trawled the web but all I can find are very
complicated things about nutrients and stuff which I can't fathom, or
just pictures of people using the dracaena massangeana as office
furniture.

I must help to save this plant! I'll have a pic of it up soon if anyone
replies to this thread positively.

thanks,

John

Hi John,
First of all I would say you need to look at whether it needs repotting.
Has it become potbound, and used up all the nutrients in the compost
it's in? I would repot it in all-purpose compost, possibly include some
slow-release fertiliser, like Osmocote, then put the plant in a
reasonable spot in good light but away from direct sunlight. It's a
plant which doesn't need too much water so I would just water it when
the compost feels dry. All you can do then is hope that a period of good
care will do the trick and that it will slowly improve.

Good luck,

Janet G