Old 08-08-2005, 10:48 AM
Sacha

On 8/8/05 0:19, in article , "H
Ryder" wrote:

I assume you are talking about actual preserving jars, rather than jam
jars. You can get them from Lakeland Limited:
www.lakelandlimited.co.uk

thank you everyone for the advice . Are these okay to boil? I was a bit
concerned that the rubber rings might melt or something - I'm sure this is a
stupid question but I wasn't sure if these jars with rings were actually
intended for preserving or were just for show IYSWIM

Incidentally I'm not necessarily looking for "posh" jars, it's just that
I've never tried this before, or in fact eaten bottled fruit before, and
figured that my best bet woudl be to try doing it using the "official"
equipment first before embarking on anythign more inventive, that way I'd
find out what it was supposed to look and taste like and woudl have some
basis to compare my future, probably more opportunist attempts to IYSWIM
Hayley

Kilner jars were used specifically for preserving fruit so I don't think you
have any problems there. The thing would be to go to the Lakeland site and
see what they recommend. Then, if doubts remain, I'd email them or ring
them with your queries. For doing e.g. Peaches in brandy, all you need are
sterilised jars, enough liquid to cover the fruit and an airtight lid. The
ones we've been given don't have any rubber seal and are just re-used large
jars like e.g. Hellmann's mayonnaise jars.
--

Sacha
(remove the weeds for email)