Old 08-08-2005, 01:59 PM
Spider

Lol wrote in message
I have just discovered that the big area outside at the back is called a
garden - my wife has kept it secret from me until now - but having retired

decided to explore beyond the conservatory door - I am amazed !!

After accidentally breaking a few of the pretty red Geraniums and sticking
them back in the ground I was astonished .... they GREW !! Is it always so
easy I wondered ?

Anyway - the first job is to try and identify what I have got - the

Fuschia
were fairly easy, as were the Geraniums and Snapdragons (Antirriniums ?) -
my grandfather was a professional gardener and as a small child I often
helped him (or maybe he babysat me :-) - but I did remember a few things -
even after 50 years. I have decided to leave the shrubs and trees for

now -
but the Eucalyptus looks intyeresting (nothing else could smell like that)
as does the Rosemary (I split this into 4 as it looked very cramped - and

it
hasn't died yet after a week) - a rather gangly straggly plant with a
pleasant smell (oranges maybe ?) has me beaten - about 18 inches high,

lots
of reddish stems with rounded triangular leaves, some of which are turning

very attractive crimson colour at the edges - with small white flowers, 4
petals and a very prominent central errr... half-inch long catkin-like
protrusion with yellowish bits. I cannot find any identification guide on
the net - maybe someone here can help. Anyway I have broken it into 4

clumps
and given it a bit of space.

Enough for now - as I cannot see a FAQ anywhere and may be completely in

the
wrong place.

Any newbie type help would be much appreciated - particularly why my newly
acquired plants are only half the size of the lady next door's ?

kind regards

Lol Middleton

Hi Lol,

Welcome to the wonderful world of gardening, and to this group.

As has been suggested, do talk to your wife .. this is what retirement is
for. She may even talk back to you since you propagated her geranium!

Your neighbour's plants may be more established .. more well fed .. a
different cultivar. Compliment them on their garden and ask their advice.
They may even be able to help you identify plants in your garden that
neither you nor your wife know.

Before digging or planting, ask your wife if she has bulbs (hidden
underground!!) in that area. This way you'll avoid damaging these latent
plants, and marital bliss will be assured. Similarly, if your wife has
always ruled the garden, it would be considerate (*essential*) to discuss
allocation of jobs, intended plantings and so on.
A lady friend of mine is always struck with terror when her husband goes
into the garden. Fortunately, she is not struck dumb .. he now knows his
place!

Oh yes .. do buy your own tools, especially hand tools, and make sure
they're comfortable and safe to use.

Spider