Old 08-08-2005, 08:01 PM
Cheri

Doug Kanter wrote in message ...
"Cheri" gdotservicedotatinreachdotcom wrote in message
Hi, I have had recent digging in my back yard due to broken pipes.

They
did a decent job of putting the lawn back, but there are still many
spots that are all browned out now, and some spots where the grass is
completely missing. The people that did the excavating said to wait
about two weeks for everything to settle. My question is, what is the
best way to fill in the missing lawn, and get rid of the brown spots?
TIA.

Brown? Do mean there are spots where no grass grew, or it grew, but

died &
turned brown?

It died and turned brown, since it was green before. Also there were
some spots that they couldn't put the sod back saying they could never
put it back exactly as it was, so it's bare dirt.

In most of the country, this is NOT the best time to be starting new

grass
seed. You didn't mention where you lived, so we have no way of knowing

YOUR
situation. In any case, I'd call the company that did the excavating

and
tell them you need a return visit to reseed the bad spots.

I'm in the Central Valley of CA where it's extremely hot right now.

When utilities do excavation in the summer and then re-seed, the

homeowner's
between a rock and a hard place. If the company waits for the optimum

time
to reseed, weeds will take over the bare areas. If they reseed

immediately,
there's a good chance that the result is what you've seen.

OK, thanks for the timely answer. I will go to a nearby nursery and
check with them.

If it were my lawn, I'd have them come back immediately (since it costs
nothing). But, around here, our local utility seems to use the lousiest
quality seed they can find. In 3 areas I've seen where they've

excavated,
the weeds are outrageous. My own lawn's almost weed free, except for

the 15
foot strip where they dug last summer. So, if I were you, I'd get a

spreader
and some seed that's appropriate for your area, and overseed at the

right
time. Go to a real garden center and ask for advice on which seed to

use.

Thanks, I will do that. I just wanted some idea of what's involved.

Cheri