Old 08-08-2005, 06:07 PM
Kay

In article , Lol
writes
After accidentally breaking a few of the pretty red Geraniums and sticking
them back in the ground I was astonished .... they GREW !! Is it always so
easy I wondered ?

no - geraniums (the Latin name is Pelargonium, and it's best to get into
the habit to avoid confusion with the other Geraniums, which are hardy
plants with blue, pink, purple or white flowers, cottagey-garden
looking, with a long flowering period) are particularly easy, but so are
quite a few plants, including fuchsia.

Anyway - the first job is to try and identify what I have got - the Fuschia
were fairly easy, as were the Geraniums and Snapdragons (Antirriniums ?

yes

) -
my grandfather was a professional gardener and as a small child I often
helped him (or maybe he babysat me :-) - but I did remember a few things -
even after 50 years. I have decided to leave the shrubs and trees for now -
but the Eucalyptus looks intyeresting (nothing else could smell like that)
as does the Rosemary (I split this into 4 as it looked very cramped - and it
hasn't died yet after a week) -

a rather gangly straggly plant with a
pleasant smell (oranges maybe ?) has me beaten - about 18 inches high, lots
of reddish stems with rounded triangular leaves, some of which are turning a
very attractive crimson colour at the edges - with small white flowers, 4
petals and a very prominent central errr... half-inch long catkin-like
protrusion with yellowish bits.

Do you mean the leaves are scented? Or the flowers?

I cannot find any identification guide on
the net - maybe someone here can help. Anyway I have broken it into 4 clumps
and given it a bit of space.

If you can post a pic on a website and tell us the url, someone here
will identify it for you.

Enough for now - as I cannot see a FAQ anywhere and may be completely in the
wrong place.

No, you're in exactly the right place. Welcome!

Any newbie type help would be much appreciated - particularly why my newly
acquired plants are only half the size of the lady next door's ?

She's had hers awhile and they've grown? She'd bought from somewhere
else?
Smaller plants often establish better than larger ones, and do better in
the long run.
--
Kay