Old 08-08-2005, 06:55 PM
Trevor Appleton

"Spider" wrote in message

Trevor Appleton wrote in message
Here we are in one of the driest parts of the country with only 16 inches

of
rain in the 50 weeks up to two weeks ago, and our new ( 2 month old) oak
table and chairs are black with mould.

Any suggestions how to :

a) Get rid of it

b) Keep it away

Trevor

East Yorkshire

Hi Trevor,

Is your oak furniture parked under an overhanging bush or tree that is
blighted with aphids? The aphids secrete honeydew which, after
deposition,
is colonised by Sooty Mould. If this is the case, it may be better to
move
the furniture away from the over-growth, otherwise the mould will
persist/return whatever you use to eradicate it. Since it is a mould, try
using a proprietory garden mould cleaner; then scrub with soapy water.

Hope this helps.
Spider

No definitely no tree or vegetation. Full sun 1300-1600.