Old 08-08-2005, 06:45 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "David W.E. Roberts" contains these words:

When pruning in January, save some ripe wood (brown all through), about as
thick as a pencil, and about a foot long.

Stick a spade in the soil and wiggle it a bit to leave a 'V' shaped notch.

Fill this with sand.

Place one end of your cutting in the sand, firm up, and leave.

Cuttings should root in the first year ready for transplanting.

There are more detailed explanations, but if you plant a dozen cuttings then
you should get at least one new vine.

It's worth mentioning for gardening newbies that this simple technique
works for many, many shrubs and climbers. Just line out your cuttings in
a bare spot, and wait till next year to se which grow and which died.
Free plants! (Since I have sandy soil, I leave out the sand.).

Janet