Old 08-08-2005, 09:23 PM
Bourne Identity

This is generally a very old specimen. My vitex is 8 years old and it
is about 10 feet tall, but 20 feet wide. I do what is called "limb it
up" to give it a more tree-like shape. However, if you don't do this,
it will be more a huge bush than tree.

I am sorry to say it is not a good shade tree.

On Mon, 8 Aug 2005 12:25:54 -0500, "John"
wrote:

Hello group..
Have been trying to find a nice tree for my folks yard, something easy to
take care of and might cast some shade on their house. We were at the Depot
the other day and they had the Texas Lilac Vitex on sale so we bought one
and planted it. It's got the prettiest, and most fragrent purple blossoms
on it..Anyone know how fast they grow? We saw one in Austin the other day
and it was huge..Like 30 feet tall..So that will be good..I have read on
line about them but was hoping someone here may have some personal
experience with them...

Thanks!
John