Old 09-08-2005, 12:34 AM
Cindy

Bourne Identity wrote:
This is generally a very old specimen. My vitex is 8 years old and it
is about 10 feet tall, but 20 feet wide. I do what is called "limb it
up" to give it a more tree-like shape. However, if you don't do this,
it will be more a huge bush than tree.

I am sorry to say it is not a good shade tree.

Mine is about the same age and size. I've started trimming the ends of
branches, which become long and pendulous, to keep it in bounds, and need to
remove some watersprouts.
They're not tall enough for shade, and anyway when it gets really hot in
late summer and fall, the leaves start dropping, even if you water a lot.
But in spring, mine is BEAUTIFUL and bright green, and when it blooms in
a flush in spring and then sporadically through the summer, hummingbirds and
bees LOVE it, and so do I!
My son and husband with bad allergies, however, hate it and won't mow
near it because it makes them itch so bad.

Cindy