Old 09-08-2005, 12:19 AM
TR

Thanks for the reply Elaine.
Having spent the afternoon with Google, I have some refinements for what I'd
like to do.
Given that I would like to build a wood top for the tank, I'm now leaning
towards a DIY top with 4 48" T8 bulbs. I've seen some posts that suggest
that this would be sufficient for a 55g tank. I'm not planning to add CO2
(just flourish excel), so I'm thinking I shouldn't over watt the tank,
correct?
Would what I plan be sufficient for moderate light plants (a few swords,
crypts, anubias, maybe some hygrophilla (sp?)? Dollars are a factor, so a
low budget approach is good, and I think I'd enjoy building a nice hood.

My second choice is the 2x96 CF brightkit from AHSupply. Would I need to add
CO2 with this?

My experience thus far has been limited to a 20g tank with 40watts CF (USA
satellite), plant growth seems ok, certainly not lush but the swords are
doing well.
Thanks,
Tom

I've always found that if the bulb is shorter than the tank, plants on the
edges of the tank grow toward the middle where the light is brighter. I
don't like that effect so I put 48" bulbs over 48" tanks.

--
Elaine T __
http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__