Old 08-08-2005, 10:47 PM
Elaine T

Sam wrote:
Yeah, I thought goldfish might be more high maintenance.

I know there will be maintenance involved. How frequent, I don't know,
but I figure a once-a-week checkout and cleaning or changing water (I
plan to add a float valve to supply fresh well water, but I know
evaporation concentrates minerals, etc.).

But if I can avoid the daily fish feeding it would be great. Just one
less thing to do in my hectic life. So maybe a couple of smaller fish?
I'll check with a local pond supply. know there are small ones that
love mosquito larvae. And we have plenty of bugs out here in the
country.

Gambusia (aka mosquito fish) should work. The only downer is that
they're dark colored so you won't see them much. I have a couple of
gambusia in with a goldfish in one of the half-barrels of my pond. The
goldfish immediately grabs the floating pellets I feed, so the gambusia
must be finding other food. They've been in there since March and I
still catch an occasional glimpse.

If you want other small fish that are more visible and could possibly
live by foraging, consider rosy red minnows or gold white clouds.
Regular white clouds aren't very visible from above but the gold ones
look really nice.

--
Elaine T __
http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__