Old 08-08-2005, 09:24 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Lol wrote:

[ Rosemary ]

When you say it is easy and quick to regrow - is that from seed ?

Seed, layers or small plants bought in garden centres.

I quite like cooking, and one of the things I am going to read up on is
'herbs' - it would be nice to have my own grown source for Mint, Sage,
Coriander etc

A good idea. Most are dead easy, but some are tricky. Look at the
Edible Herb FAQ on rec.gardens.edible in addition to books. A good
rule of thumb is that there are three main types:

Ones that like sun and good drainage, such as thyme, rosemary etc.
Most will grow well in pots and are drought-resistant.

Ones that like cool and damp conditions, such as mint, chives etc.
Most are happy in shade and will tolerate waterlogging.

Ones that are tropical, such as basil, chillis, coriander etc.
Most will grow well in pots as annuals.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.