Old 09-08-2005, 03:39 AM
Elaine T

TR wrote:
Thanks for the reply Elaine.
Having spent the afternoon with Google, I have some refinements for what I'd
like to do.
Given that I would like to build a wood top for the tank, I'm now leaning
towards a DIY top with 4 48" T8 bulbs. I've seen some posts that suggest
that this would be sufficient for a 55g tank. I'm not planning to add CO2
(just flourish excel), so I'm thinking I shouldn't over watt the tank,
correct?
Would what I plan be sufficient for moderate light plants (a few swords,
crypts, anubias, maybe some hygrophilla (sp?)? Dollars are a factor, so a
low budget approach is good, and I think I'd enjoy building a nice hood.

My second choice is the 2x96 CF brightkit from AHSupply. Would I need to add
CO2 with this?

My experience thus far has been limited to a 20g tank with 40watts CF (USA
satellite), plant growth seems ok, certainly not lush but the swords are
doing well.
Thanks,
Tom

Hmm...When I had a 55 gallon tank, I put an 80 watt shop light with one
cool white T12 and one warm white T12 over it and put it in a north
window - the ultimate low-budget lighting approach. I added yeast C02
and lots of algae eating critters and the tank did great. ;-)

I like looking at aquascaping contests for ideas and tank setups.
Here's some 55 gallon tanks. The one with your 4x40W lighting idea
looks quite nice, don't you think?

4x40 watts.
http://www.aquabotanic.com/contest20...38_Details.htm

Only 110 watts of PC - a bit under lit, and this guy is out of his
league. ;-)
http://www.aquabotanic.com/contest20...63_Details.htm

160W plus 55W of CF.
http://www.aquabotanic.com/contest20...61_Details.htm

http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.or...tegory=0&vol=2
has some more 55 gallon (listed as 208L tanks) for you to look at what
various lighting setups will grow.

--
Elaine T __
http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__