Old 09-08-2005, 11:23 AM
June Hughes

In message , June Hughes
writes
In message ws.net,
Sue writes

"Pam Moore" wrote
wrote:

hello when is the best time to take fig cuttings please

I took one piece off a wild tree, in about early October 2003. It is
doing OK in a small pot with mimimum care up to now. The parent tree
is very old, on banks of river Avon in Bristol, allegedly grown from
seeds in the rather foul mud!!
I stuck the piece in a pot of soil and put it in a shady place outside
over winter and to my surprise it rooted.

Is it feasible to grow a fig permanently in a pot? I realise it'd have to
be a fairly large one, but would the tree still fruit if it was pruned to
keep it within bounds? I'd quite like to try one.

Mine seems to be OK at the moment. I has been in a huge pot for 18
months or so. I had the first ripe fig of the season last night.

I forgot to say that the supplier gave me some seaweed fertiliser to use
once a year on mine. He told me to leave the tree in the pot it came
in, which I have done. I have used the seaweed fertiliser but haven't a
clue whether or not it has done any good. (Gardeners here have said the
roots are very invasive and suggested I use an old washing-machine drum
if planting out in the garden.)

The main thing to remember is to keep the tree well watered, especially
in the first 12 months or so.

One of my neighbours has a huge, fruitful fig tree, which has been there
at least 20 years without causing any problems at all but I think they
have just been lucky.
--
June Hughes