Old 09-08-2005, 07:44 PM
Jmagerl

Default Ferns....drought......

I have about a thousand sq ft of fern beds. I suspect they are Ostrich ferns
(some get to 5ft high). Northern Illinois is currently under extreme drought
conditions. I am trying to water the ferns but must admit I can't keep up
with evaporation and they are beginning to show stress. About 25% of them
have shrivelled up and the others all have some sign of stress. My question:
If they shrivel up, will they come back next year? Just how hardy are they?
If a plant shrivels up, do I stop watering because its dead or does it leave
runners that grow new plants next year? WHat can I expect next spring if I
stop watering? I would like to focus my watering on the big trees (the
100ft tall black cherries are the worst). IF it doesnt rain soon, I fear the
loss of some marvelous trees. I can only do so much with a garden hose. THe
hostas, daylilies, peonies will have to fend for themselves. sigh....