Old 02-12-2002, 12:40 PM
Grahame Fendle

Default Wasps nest in the attic

Jim A wrote:

I have found though that usually it is best to leave them alone. They
are good for pest control (aphids etc) and I have also noticed that
wasps from a nest in our roof tend not to bother us, but go further
afield and therefore grant us some degree of immunity. I speak as
someone who has something of a phobia of wasps, but has learned to live

Whilst I agree with this in principle, it is my experience that as time
goes by they become more bothersome. I realise that every case is unique,
but in our case we had a real problem with wasps appearing in almost every
room in the house, and then finding somewhere warm - usually a bed, or a
bag. Not nice to go to bed, having to pull back sheets and pillows, and
still find that one has managed to hide itself away somewhere.

Our nest was, I think, hidden in the cavity wall somewhere. Despite sealing
various holes around radiator pipes and so on, they still managed to
propogate to the kitchen which is one floor below and two rooms way!

I for one won't be tolerating another nest in the house. :-(