Old 09-08-2005, 11:04 PM
Pam Moore

On Tue, 9 Aug 2005 13:41:17 +0000, undergroundbob
wrote:

My blueberries have gone blue overnight! Just surprised because I
thought it would be a gradual process...a gentle shading from green.

Can any of you knowledgable boffin types give me a layman's explanation
of what happens when a berry ripens, how the colour changes etc?

In the meantime, acting casual, hoping the birds don't spot them until
they're good to pick.

The only way you'll know if they are ripe is to taste one. They need
to ripen a bit more, I'd say. Try one of the bigger berries. If it
comes off easily, it's probably ripe, if there is any resistance when
you pull leave it a bit longer. They can stay on a while, but watch
out for birds. I had no trouble but some people have.

Pam in Bristol