Old 10-08-2005, 03:42 AM
Kay Lancaster

Hi, I have access to a large bed of Paeonies that have not been touched
for years , I need to fill up some beds elsewhere in the garden and
need some advice on division and success rate .

They're pretty straightforward to divide. Pay attention to your
planting depth -- too deep and they won't bloom. I prefer to keep
5-10 eyes per division -- 3 is absolute minimum.

My plan of attack would be with a mattock ,as the ground is extremely
hard,possibly halving them and then replanting in november, Any advice
would be appreciated.

Water the ground deeply both in the old and new spots a day or so ahead
of time. Forget the mattock, just use a spade and a sharp knife to divide
them. Typically, peonies are dug in late August or early September.
Where are you? That may influence timing.

http://www.paeonia.com/html/about_pe...ropagation.htm