Old 10-08-2005, 03:36 AM
p.mc

"p.mc" sigadd1to wrote in message
Hi

I planted a young honeysuckle a few months ago, and it was growing

really
nicely up against a fence till I noticed the foliage was being eaten. At
first I thought it was slugs, but I've never came across any, or noticed
any
tracks, but on a night time raid I found it was covered in earwigs.
I killed as many as I could find, but there is always a few more each

time
inspect the plant and a lot of the leaves have been munched. Are they

the
culprits of this tale, and if so, is there any tips or something to

spray
the plant with to stop further damage.

"Tumbleweed" wrote in message

I would think its more likely its slug/snail or caterpillar damage, and

they
are then feeding on the damaged plant remains.

--
Tumbleweed

Hi Tumbleweed

I can see your point, because my mother has an established honeysuckle
plant, and I'm forever picking snails (but not slugs) off it when I go
visit.
But in my case, the plant is young and leggy on a bare fence with not a lot
of cover for snails or slugs, and as I said I've never come across
slugs or snails yet on my plant, even when at night and I'm picking slugs
off my spring onions, leeks and tomatoes.
It could have been caterpillars, but where do they go in the daytime, cause
I have never seen them either, but one thing is for sure, earwigs colonise
it in the evening...What do earwigs eat?

Regards
p.mc