Old 10-08-2005, 12:49 PM
TR

Hi Wes, I'll be looking further into something like that. A DIY hood with T8
bulbs. Low budget would be a good thing for me right now! ;-)
I saw a narrow 2 lite T8 fixture at home depot for about $25, but I'll shop
around and see what else I can find.
Thanks!
(sorry about the email, I intended to reply to the group)

"wes" wrote in message
ups.com...
I think the 55 gallon tanks lend themselves very well to ultra-low
budget lighting. Walmart sells dual-bulb fluorescent shop-lights that
are 48" long, with 40 watts per bulb. If you have 2 of these over your
tank, you'll have 160 watts---nearly 3 watts per gallon. While you're
there, get 4 of the GE Plant and Aquarium bulbs and just use those..
Total cost for 4 bulbs and 2 fixtures should be under $40.

Good luck,
Wes