Old 10-08-2005, 02:18 PM
Serena Blanchflower

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 13:51:03 +0100, Sacha wrote:

On 10/8/05 13:31, in article ,
"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote:

The message k
from Sacha contains these words:

To be honest, our fig tree is a bit of a nuisance. It's extremely vigorous
and pushes 'fingers' up between the guttering and the back of the cottage
while you look the other way for ten seconds. On its other side, it
devours the washing line! It seems to carry a fair bit of fruit but lots of
it falls off before it can ripen.

I've often wondered whether unripe figs could be useful in chutney.

Hmmmmm. I wonder if the effect might not be a bit startling. Think Syrup
of Figs!

I think it sounds like a good idea; I doubt the effects would be too
dramatic, after all, you don't tend to eat huge quantities of chutney
at each sitting. Some years ago, I bought a jar of fig jam which was
delicious used in cooking, in things like curries, where I wanted to
add a degree of sweetness and body. I must admit that I never ate it
spread on toast though.

--
Cheers, Serena
Just when I was getting used to yesterday, along came today.