Old 10-08-2005, 04:35 PM
Jmagerl

Cereus-validus....... wrote:
Check out the cactus mall for virtually everything and anything
relating to cactus & succulents.

http://www.cactus-mall.com/

Maybe your plants are getting sunburned?

Saguaro make awful houseplants. They are much too slow growing and too
temperamental for growing indoors.

There are hundreds of others that are much better suited to your
conditions.
If you were really proud of them, you would have learned their proper
names long ago.

"Sallyrat&Sweetie" wrote in message
.. .

snip

I am most concerned about my oldest saguaro which is almost ten
years old ( it is only about 6 inches tall). I am wondering that
maybe they need deeper pots but other people I know have larger
cacti, smaller pots and less or the same light conditions. Depending on
the season, I water anywhere from every two weeks to
monthly and fertilize lightly maybe twice a year at the most. I
thought about putting them outside this year but it didn't happen
and its too late to start now anyway.

I too grow suguaro's from seed. My baby is 12 inches tall and is 11 years
old. I must say they do not grow well indoors. They are a full sun plant. I
take mine outside every spring and inside every fall. WHen its inside, I cut
back drastically on the water (once a month) and sit the pot on insulating
styrofoam (prevent cold roots). The goal is to let it go semidormant because
there is not enough indoor light. I have it in a 10inc by 10inch pot. During
the summer I water daily and fertilize weekly. It doesnt really need
watering daily but its mixed in with a bunch of others that do. ITs not too
late to take yours outdoors. It will love you for it. Make sure you
aclimatize it first. maybe 2 weeks in a more shade than sun spot (I put mine
behind a window screen). THey sun burn easily.

The only problem I have is getting the seedlings thru their first winter.
THe mortality rate is horrible. 1 in 10 live.

I have about 10 different types and I don't know the names. Pretty
basic stuff mostly( except the saguaros. Can you tell I'm proud of
them? :-). I'll learn the names some day.

I've got a few others too that I don't know the names either. One is over 30
years old and is 5 ft tall. Still in a 10 inch by 10 inch pot. My biggest
problem is carrying him out for the summer. I have to wear very heavy
leather gloves. and then put another pair of leathers gloves in my palm (3
layers of leather covering the palms) before I can cradle the cactus on my
hand. even than something will poke thru. I wish they made cactus proof
gloves.

Thanks
Sally ( in Zone 5a or b depending on which map you look at)