Old 10-08-2005, 08:28 PM
Lady Blacksword

You guys might take the growing questions on this plant to
rec.gardens.orchids. I'm sure someone over there is familliar with it.
Murri
"Ann" wrote in message
news
expounded:

I had wonderful surprise in my garden a week ago. I had resisted
pulling a weed that was growing amongst some hostas along the
foundation of my house, and it bloomed...the most beautiful orchid-like
flowers, with a lavendar and green color.

After much searching on the web, I've finally identified it - Epipactis
helleborine:
http://www.ct-botanical-society.org/...actishell.html

Anyone else have this plant? Any ideas on how I can encourage it to
keep coming back?

They grow as far north as Middleton, NH, which is zone 5a, I believe.
I don't think you need to do anything to them to keep them, they grow
where they're happy ) I've seen them in several places around here
in New England, all in moist, woodsy soil, and while I've never done a
pH test, I'm sure the soil is very acid.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts