Old 10-08-2005, 07:12 PM
Chris Hogg

On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 16:55:43 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

Can anyone suggest the identity of a white flowered rhododendron that we saw
in a friend's garden in Jersey last week? It's very old and they don't know
the name of it. I'm afraid I can't tell you if it's fragrant because it's
up one helluva slope and we didn't feel like grappling our way up to it and
I forgot to ask!
As to flowering time, the CIs are usually reckoned to be 4 to 6 weeks ahead
of most of UK and they've been having some very warm weather lately.

'Polar Bear' is pure white with a narrow green throat, late flowering
(the RHS Wisley Handbook says July-August) and fragrant. It's a cross
between R. diaprepes and R. auriculatum, made in 1926 by
J.B.Stevenson, RHS FCC 1946, so old and well regarded. Said to be
reasonably hardy.

--
Chris