Old 10-08-2005, 11:03 PM
Fragile \Joseph\ Warrior

"Jmagerl" wrote
I've got a few others too that I don't know the names either. One is over
30 years old and is 5 ft tall. Still in a 10 inch by 10 inch pot. My
biggest problem is carrying him out for the summer. I have to wear very
heavy leather gloves. and then put another pair of leathers gloves in my
palm (3 layers of leather covering the palms) before I can cradle the
cactus on my hand. even than something will poke thru. I wish they made
cactus proof gloves.

I used to have a huge cactus that I would move outside, too. Here's a trick
I learned: take several layers of newspaper, open them up and then fold
them lengthwise into a multi-layered ribbon of newsprint. I'd hook a loop
of the newsprint around the cactus and hold the overflow paper in my gloved
hands (rather than put my hands directly on the cactus) I usually held two
or three of them and had someone else navigate the pot. No more puncture
wounds.