Old 10-08-2005, 09:22 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
David Rance wrote:
While out for a drive on Sunday in the beautiful Norman countryside we
came across an unusual oak quite close to the town of Bagnoles de
l'Orne. At about head height the main trunk splits into six and is known
as the Chęne des Six Frčres. Struck by the strangeness of this
phenomenon we wondered whether it was a freak of nature or whether it
had been persuaded to grow in this way for some reason. ...

Can anyone tell me how it's possible to persuade an oak to divide its
main trunk in this way? It is certainly an arresting sight. Also are
there any similar examples in the UK? Third question: why do people do
it?

Lots of them.

When a tree like an oak has its growing shoot removed, it will regrow
with any number of new ones. It is rare for this to be more than two
or three, if the young shoot is eaten by an animal, but it can be
quite a lot if a half-grown-tree is struck by lightning or otherwise
broken off.

People also used to pollard oaks deliberately, though coppicing was
more common, because the 4-6" shoots were extremely valuable for
firewood, charcoal, building etc. See Rackham on this.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.