Old 03-12-2002, 09:48 AM
Jonathan Ward

Default Runner beans - freezing?

In article ,
ospam says...

In article ,

says...

On Fri, 29 Nov 2002 13:40:20 +0000 (UTC),
(Jonathan
Ward) wrote:

I grow climbing french beans instead, as well ordinary ones. They don't go
tough like runner beans and to my mind have a better taste and freeze well.

I was thinking of giving these a go... I'm fed up of scrabbling around
the bush varieties... do you have any variety recommendations?

Climbing French beans are so much easier to harvest... I always grow 'Blue
Lake', usual Fr. Bean shape, and 'Hunter' , which are the 'wavy sided' type.
This year I also grew some bought in Italy....very long (8-10 inch) pods and
heavy croppers too....can't remember the name offhand, (the seed dry out pale
brown). This year I also grew some climbing Borlotti beans...very good crop,
and can be eaten fresh or dried.

Dave Hunt...Shropshire
----share what you know...learn what you don't----

I have been growing Algarve from Marshalls for years. Even when quite large
they do not get anything like as tough as Runner beans.
--
Jonathan Ward
Remove the 'X' when replying