Old 11-08-2005, 04:32 AM
Jmagerl

Fragile "Joseph" Warrior wrote:
"Jmagerl" wrote
I've got a few others too that I don't know the names either. One is
over 30 years old and is 5 ft tall. Still in a 10 inch by 10 inch
pot. My biggest problem is carrying him out for the summer. I have
to wear very heavy leather gloves. and then put another pair of
leathers gloves in my palm (3 layers of leather covering the palms)
before I can cradle the cactus on my hand. even than something will
poke thru. I wish they made cactus proof gloves.

I used to have a huge cactus that I would move outside, too. Here's a
trick I learned: take several layers of newspaper, open them up and
then fold them lengthwise into a multi-layered ribbon of newsprint. I'd
hook a loop of the newsprint around the cactus and hold the
overflow paper in my gloved hands (rather than put my hands directly
on the cactus) I usually held two or three of them and had someone
else navigate the pot. No more puncture wounds.

I liked your solution but than it hit me, Doah! I have a leather fire wood
carrier. I can cradle the cactus in that just like you were doing with the
newspaper. Thanks for the tip.