Old 11-08-2005, 09:01 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Anthony Stokes wrote:
Does anyone know of this type of small (Korean origin) tree flowering
out-of-doors in England ?
If so, at what age does it start to show flowers in our summertime ?

Dunno. Mine was grown from seed and is only 9" high :-)

It seems to be quite tricky to get success with.
The tree doesn't seem to mind cold and damp winters in the garden, but is
very reluctant to grow any leaves at all until daily temperature is peaking
well above 20C ( ie very late May or June ).

A little better than that with me. However, I lost my non-rosea
Albitzia (bought as a plant) during a wet winter.

There seem to be many of these trees available in local garden centres (
typically at 5 - 10 feet high, in pots ) ~ so presumably someone somewhere
is having success with them in England ?

Think polytunnels. There are a lot of plants that are fairly easy
to grow with only minor control of the climate. They are sold in
garden centres, look as if they would thrive, but - surprise,
surprise! - they don't when planted out.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.