Old 11-08-2005, 10:50 AM
Rob

Tim Challenger schreef:

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 11:00:40 +0200, Robert wrote:

About summer-bearing raspberries.

I have cut out all of canes that bore fruit this year (floricanes).
Can I shorten the rather straggly new canes (primocanes) to a manageable
(i.e. tidy) length?
Or should I wait till next spring?
I plan to cut to 120 cms in the spring to encourage side shoots where
flowers/fruit will develop.
Is this a good plan?
If I cut them now will fruit grow on the new growth that will develop above
the cut point?

There is SO much about raspberries - I need some simple rules!
Thanks.

I know what you mean.
Last years I accidentally snipped some raspberries the same way as I did
the blackberries. Whip out all thin and straggly canes, cut the top 1/3 off
each cane left and shortened all side shoots to about 6-9". This year we
had such an enormous crop and vigorous growth I'm going to try it again
with some of the other ones.

I did this in late autumn though, as I have a couple of patches of
autumn/twice fruiting varieties and I can never remember where they are ...
--
Tim C.

Thanks Tim, that's very good info!
I am interested to know what happened to the canes after topping.
They grew up again during this spring/summer ABOVE where you had cut
them I guess?
Did you get any fruit from this new growth?

Rob