Old 11-08-2005, 11:02 AM
June Hughes

In message , Jaques
d'Alltrades writes
The message
from June Hughes contains these words:

No probs. How's the netty?

Still lurking. I put a hurdle wheel on the (8' × 6') side gate so the
postie can leave parcels without straining his back. (Expecting some
Worcesterberry cuttings very soon...)

This may sound very sad but what is a hurdle wheel please?

A hurdle is a sort-of barred gate with (usually) four wheels in line,
for making temorary stock pens or corridors. These were made of wrought
iron and the broad four-spoked wheels were of cast iron, around nine
inches in diameter.

And 8' by
6'? That is some size!

It opens to gain access to my shed/garage in which will be a motorcycle
combination. You can see the earlier stages of the construction at:
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/cobble/ and the gate is a spare
panel from the gridge-down-the-loke.

I imagine the postie being shot over the gate
like some latter-day human cannonball.

Don't tempt me - he left a letter in my box for the farmhouse at the far
end of the loke yesterday.

Loke?
--
June Hughes