Old 11-08-2005, 07:21 PM
Bananaman Bananaman is offline
Registered User

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Harris
I recently saw the towering spires of this plant in Devon and want to
grow some here in Cheltenham. Chiltern offer seed but a search of the
web gives me no clue about when to sow them or other care details.

Anyone how to grow them?

Thanks!

A useful bit of gardening software at http://www.netservs.com/garden/
Hello. I have grown Pinninata for a couple of years now.
This year in the early Summer my plant was about 9 feet tall and a towering spire of flowers.
This is what I did--- you sow the seeds in spring to flower and die the next year-- Monacarpic Bienniel.
You may still have time so hurry up.
My two plants for next year One blue one white are about 3ft tall now.They are best grown in pots.
Give them big pots and plenty of root room.Plenty of water they droop very quickly, they tell you when they need watering.
My flowering plant finished up in a 18" pot. Feed often and try to give a little frost protection by putting in the shelter of the house.
Nothing special but you have to get an EARLY start.
You cannot successfully grow and flower all in I year. Like so many things with agrdening PLAN AHEAD. Seeds are very expensive too but germination is good. Hope this helps.