Old 11-08-2005, 03:36 PM

presley wrote:
As my oriental lilies went into full bloom this week, I tied them up to the
stakes next to them to hold the heads up, which were starting to bend under
the weight of the blossoms. The very next day, when I went outside to admire
them, I saw that someone had come and clipped every stem off - not broken
off, like a child would do, but with a pruner, so it was clearly
premeditated - probably as they watched me tie the plants up. I was furious,
which I think all the gardeners reading this can understand very well. So
I'm opening up this thread to get suggestions for revenge.....or at least to
allow others to vent if they have had similar experiences.

Are you SURE it was neighbors? I've had mine look the same way, but it
was deer that did it. It looked just like it had been done with
pruners. One evening after dark, I turned into my driveway and caught
the deer doing it. As I turn into my driveway, my headlights pass
across that particular garden. That evening, one of the deer froze in
the headlights with its mouth still on one oriental lily! If I could
have driven up that retaining wall...

If you mean that they were clipped off at down toward the bottom like
someone would to make a bouquet with them, then maybe you are right
though. You didn't say how far down they had been clipped off. The
deer at my house only ate the tops off and left the nice green stems
decapitated.

Good luck!

Lisa