Old 11-08-2005, 09:05 AM
Charlie Pridham

"Anthony Stokes" wrote in message
Does anyone know of this type of small (Korean origin) tree flowering
out-of-doors in England ?
If so, at what age does it start to show flowers in our summertime ?

It seems to be quite tricky to get success with.
The tree doesn't seem to mind cold and damp winters in the garden, but is
very reluctant to grow any leaves at all until daily temperature is

peaking
well above 20C ( ie very late May or June ).

A greenhouse environment may also be unsuited as peak daily temperature

over
40C seem to cause rapid death to most of the above ground growth.

There seem to be many of these trees available in local garden centres (
typically at 5 - 10 feet high, in pots ) ~ so presumably someone somewhere
is having success with them in England ?

Anthony ( 30Km east of London )

I wouldn't bet on it! look at the number of date and coconut palms sold each
year.
My Albizia is still small (I grew it from seed) after 15 years it has just
reach 12" it is very late into growth and puts on some extension most of
which is lost in winter.
Leave are pretty though and it seems hardy enough just slow, so buying an
imported large one may be the way to go.
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk