Old 11-08-2005, 05:38 PM
Kay

In article , Lol
writes

It is clear that I really need to get to grips with understanding what I
have - and what I want to do with it. I had aleady decided that I needed to
do something (in a small way) to help me decide which plants needed a lot of
water and which needed much less. The geraniums seem very tolerant of all my
attempts to drown them

Geraniums are in fact more tolerant than many plants of dry soil.
There's no need to water them while the soil is still moist.

On the other side I have a blank space where we took out a 15ft high
Leylandia (?) hedge

Lucky you! Space for new plants! :-)

Start a compost heap if you haven't already - it's ideal for improving
the soil, making it more moisture-retentive in the summer, and looser so
the weeds come out easily. If you already had a heap, it would be good
to spread it 6 inches deep n the leylandii area.
--
Kay