Old 12-08-2005, 02:11 AM
Sterling

On drought: I understand about it first hand. When you get that dry, it
is hard to get the water to go into the ground. One thing I learned to
do, which helped the plants as well as the trees, was to take a long
screwdriver and pound it into the ground with a hammer. Shake it back
and forth and do it again and again. What water you do apply will go
into the holes instead of just sliding off.

You are right in that the trees have to come first. Good luck with the
ferns. The soaker hoses work pretty well after you make the holes.

Sterling

Jmagerl wrote:
I have about a thousand sq ft of fern beds. I suspect they are Ostrich ferns
(some get to 5ft high). Northern Illinois is currently under extreme drought
conditions. I am trying to water the ferns but must admit I can't keep up
with evaporation and they are beginning to show stress. About 25% of them
have shrivelled up and the others all have some sign of stress. My question:
If they shrivel up, will they come back next year? Just how hardy are they?
If a plant shrivels up, do I stop watering because its dead or does it leave
runners that grow new plants next year? WHat can I expect next spring if I
stop watering? I would like to focus my watering on the big trees (the
100ft tall black cherries are the worst). IF it doesnt rain soon, I fear the
loss of some marvelous trees. I can only do so much with a garden hose. THe
hostas, daylilies, peonies will have to fend for themselves. sigh....