Old 12-08-2005, 03:39 AM
Logic316

Pedro wrote:
Logic316,

I have a 58G tank with Bolivian Rams, angels, some cories and gouramis.
Currently I have two OTO and two Tru SAE in there. I do weekly water changes
and feed them twice a day.
Nitrate, nitrites, ammonia, ph, etc are at normal levels. Lights are being
controlled by a timer. I currently have a FloraBase substrate. Plants are
growing but many have this brownish thing that looks like alage on the
leaves. I will see if I can get some amano shrimps and keep monitoring the
levels.

Regardins the light, any brands in particular?How do I calculate how many
watts per gallon it provides?

I couldn't say exactly which brands are best, but for a tank your size
you may want to use a fluorescent light as it will be cooler and less
expensive to operate (if your lamp fixture is designed for an
incandescent bulb, you can buy special fluorescent bulbs that can screw
into it). Also, try to find an aquarium light that claims to radiate as
little light as possible in the red spectrum, because red light tends to
stimulate algae growth. Anyway, you need a minimum of 2 watts per gallon
(but no more than 5), so you multiply 2 watts times 58 gallons. This
means that you need at least a 116 watt light bulb, but a bulb that's no
stronger than 290 watts (5x58).

- Logic316

"The difference between death and taxes is death
doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-- Will Rogers