Old 12-08-2005, 04:52 AM
Steve

zxcvbob wrote:

John Savage wrote:

zxcvbob writes:

I've been out of town for 3 weeks; I got back last night. My sour
cherry tree looked perfectly healthy when I left, but now all the leaves
are dead and brown -- except for about 10 leaves that aren't *quite*

Does the tree shade part of your neighbour's yard, or block their view,
or drop leaves into their pool, or might its roots be near their pipes
or house foundations, or taking nutrients from their garden? Are
relations
with your neighbours somewhat strained?

No, no, no, no, etc.

Any my wife likes this tree too, so that's not it.

Bob

LOL. :-) those were all good questions, weren't they?
Bob, in spite of the encouragement that others have given, I would bet
the farm that your tree is dead. Both sour cherries that I have owned
over the years died in a similar way. (but not exactly) My trees went
into fall colors and dropped their leaves in August. The next spring
they were 100% dead. I had at least one plum do that too. No visible
explanation for it either.
I have also had apples leaf out and look normal in the spring then stop
growing and the leaves wilt and go brown. That happens in June or early
July. I believe with the apples it is a case of winter injury to the
trunk and/or branches. The damage seems delayed because the buds open
and only wilt after the damaged wood can't transport enough water to
keep them going. (not likely your problem) I live where it gets to 30
below nearly every year and some years to -40. Weird things happen to my
trees.

Steve in the Adirondacks