Old 12-08-2005, 08:16 AM
June Hughes

In message , Mike Lyle
writes
Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
The message
from June Hughes contains these
words:

Oh! Lane Penny has dropped. Where I come from they are called
lonnings.

Ah. Lonnings, loanings, lanes - all from the Old English 'lane or
lone'.

I really can't stand much more of this. I'm a poor dam ' honest
colonial Australian, rattling my shackles, and I thought I had you
poor oppressed cringing Pommie rickets-infested peasants on the run;
but now you suddenly get all unintelligible on me! You *******s pull
another stunt like that, and we'll go republican.

Down under, we rule the OED with big-time scholarship: you Eschary
types better explain yourselves in short order,or flimin' else..

Eschary? Flimin'? g Frantically trying to remember how you speak
'Strine.

Just to keep on topic - apart from using a huge net or getting up in the
early hours, how can I stop wasps from eating my figs, please?
--
June Hughes